Today someone wrote to me with this question:
I was wondering if you have any insights and/or resources on my fear of being successful?
Here’s my response to her.
Ahhhh so you’ve found that particular bugaboo now…fear of success.
The insights are inside you my dear…keep pondering, reflecting, asking yourself questions about your experience with success in the past. Here are a few entry questions to play with:
- When have you enjoyed and embraced success? When have you hidden, discounted, or felt uncomfortable?
- Play with a mind-map perhaps. Use lots of colours…see what emerges.
- Think about influential people in your life and how they handle or handled success…what did you absorb from that? What do you want to keep, what do you want to let go of?
- What would you want to teach your daughter about being successful?
- Imagine the future…what do you see happening as you become successful, as you continue to live successfully? What does this say about your beliefs? What might you want to consider re-framing, adjusting? What might be simply something to accept and enjoy…even look forward to watching unfold?
Let me know how it goes.
Is this a fear you’ve ever experienced? What would you have suggested…any insights and/or resources to share with us?